Sunday, October 5, 2014

Interview: Marcia Goldstein

     Marcia Goldstein is a real estate brokerage assistant. She has worked with artists and investors within the entertainment industry. She is also a financial advisor. She is currently working as an assistant at Lauderdale By The Sea Realty. Lauderdale By The Sea Realty is located within South Florida. Marcia spends the majority of her days negotiating with others. Whether it is for the perfect price, or the perfect location, she gets the job done.
Experience With Different Negotiation Techniques
     Me: “Can you tell me about your experience with negotiating with others?“
     Marcia: “On a daily basis, I not only have to debate with general contractors and others on pricing, quality of installations, building areas, and zoning, but, I also have to debate with the sellers/buyers and agents/brokers on our firm’s commission. There are times when some people feel as if they deserve the whole “piece of the pie”, when our firm was the one who literally provided them the “food”. You have to know when to share and withhold information. You have to know how to make a certain things sound exciting, even when it might not be as exciting as it seems. You also need to know when to walk away from a deal, and how you should make your first offer. The negotiation should be beneficial on both ends.”
Best Alternative To A Negotiated Agreement (BATNA)
     Me: “Do you have any experience with finding the BATNA?”
     Marcia: “Yes. Right now, we are contracted with Movoto. I spend a lot of time, at our real estate firm, finding the best options for our clients”. Being an assistant for brokers and agents, feels just like being a mediator sometimes.
Dirty Tricks
     Me: “Have you ever used “dirty” or “unscrupulous” tricks while negotiating with others?”
     Marcia: “No. But, I have witnessed dirty tricks and unprofessional tactics used against me and our firm.”
     Me: “When?”
Marcia: “We had a million dollar real estate deal on the line. We had three partners, and we had an agreement to split the money between the four corporations. Because, there wasn’t anything in writing, and we did not seek legal representation, they ended up stealing the money.”
Separating the People From The Problem
     Me: “How do you separate the people from the problem when you are negotiating?”
     Marcia: “ Basically, I don’t see the people, I just see the deal. People have different personalities. I can’t deal with all of that. Therefore, I just see the deal. And, when I look at the deal, I see the bigger picture, and not the person. The bigger picture is closing the deal.”
     Me: “What tips do you have for new negotiators who are trying to do this?”
     Marcia: “Whenever you are negotiating a deal, you need to keep calm. Remember, some people are just not professional. Quite frankly, some are just evil. So, you have to look over all of that, and keep your eyes on the prize, which is closing.”

No comments:

Post a Comment